Monday, February 9, 2009

Portraits

I saw this amazing exhibit a few weeks ago.  It was at one of the museums in Manhattan.  I just did a quick snapshot, but it was stunning to see in person, and I wanted to remember it.  These are portraits of famous people done in wire!  A single piece of wire, bent and twisted and formed, and then perhaps another piece of wire twisted on to it and also bent, to form a three dimensional head!  And they were hung on a single piece of wire so that they would slowly twist back and forth, revealing their three-dimensional qualities.  I don't ever remember seeing anything like this before - it was simply stunning!  Click on the photo so you can see the sculptures in more detail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the shot with black & white contrast. Very unusual, very cool. I only recognize one face -I think Chaney.
Joan

Amy said...

Wow, cool! Gus plays with wire art sometimes, too, but he's never done full faces. Very impressive. And I like the shot with the people looking at them, too.