Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Blue Sky Day

I took a lot of snow pictures yesterday, and thought I would post one more of them today.  Then I went down to the bottom of the driveway this morning to retrieve the newspaper, and noticed the sun shining through the Japanese maple, which had a frosting of light snow on all the branches.  I started by including the sun in the photograph, and realized that the Sun became the subject.  But I was feeling, instead, the blue of the sky and the brilliant white of the snow, so I moved so the sun was no longer in the frame.  This was the result, and I just love the striking blue of the sky contrasted with the white of the snow.  This image feels as if it is a different way of seeing the landscape for me.  PLEASE click on it, to see how rich the blue color really is.

4 comments:

ken schwarz said...

Interesting tricolor photograph. The shade of blue is what we refer to in the Carolinas as Carolina Blue.

Anonymous said...

I Love it. You know that I'd have then moved in for a close up of the very texture of the ice surrounding a branch (smile); but trust "The Kid" to remind us all of the Big Picture.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you both for your comments! The branch was about 6 feet above my head - I was shooting straight up at this, and using a longer focal length on my zoom, so the close up was out of reach, sorry to say.

Anonymous said...

I love the blue sky and contrast. We need something to smile about after a grey stormy day. Thanks.
Joan