Thursday, May 7, 2009

Abandoned Detroit


I am in Detroit for a convention this week. I arrived on an early flight today, and then went in search of two abandoned factories that I learned about before coming here. It is a long story and I will talk more about it later on. This is part of the Continental Motors factory, built in 1912, and then shut down in 1965. It originally covered 12 acres, and was one of the world's largest motor factories, building engines for cars and trucks, and even tanks. One version of the history says that the factory made a huge stink, and neighbors sued, but lost the case. Another version claims that worker militancy was the cause of the shutdown. I was extremely lucky today - when I arrived at the first factory it was raining, which was perfect, and it was still overcast when I arrived here. Perfect light for photographing these amazing structures. I posted a really large file of this, so please click on it to see a much larger image. You will enjoy seeing more detail in the larger image.

No comments: