Thursday, May 21, 2009

Fifth Avenue Afternoon


Wow, what a day I had today! I went to the city to see a couple of shows at the Met. I wanted to see the Walker Evans Postcard exhibit one more time before it closed. And some other things. I took a billion photographs, many of which I will post in the coming days. This is one of the last I took but it is quite different for me, so I am starting with this one. There is a wall on Fifth Avenue that runs along the edge of Central Park. There are park benches every 50 feet. Late in the afternoon, the sunlight bounces off the buildings opposite the benches, and this wonderful, warm light illuminates the people on the benches. So I used my Canon point-and-shoot and held it in one hand with my arm down at my side, pointed to the west, as I headed south on Fifth avenue. I snapped a photo as I passed each of the benches with people on them. I got some interesting ones, but this is a favorite. Just the lost-in-thought look of this barefoot young woman. Naturally the photo was tilted - I wasn't using the viewfinder. There was enough room around the photo, so I cropped the image and tilted it straight to see how I liked it. I decided I liked the tilt better - I guess it gives more of a sense that it's a "street" photo.

1 comment:

neen said...

I love the barefeet - the freedom - it adds to her pose - freedom to think what she wants to think about.