Sunday, May 24, 2009

Maelstrom






I went to the Met primarily to see two exhibits, but I was aware of a new sculpture on the roof garden. It is called "Maelstrom" by the artist Roxy Paine. It is welded stainless steel, 145 feet long and 45 feet wide, and it is crazy wonderful! I was not prepared for how amazing this work of art would be! I was pressed for time, so only spent 45 minutes photographing this. The roof was full of people, wandering back and forth, in and around this astounding piece. It was a joy to photograph! It looked like so many different things depending on where I shot it from, that I had to post a series of photographs so you would have a greater understanding of it in its totality.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, like one gigantic tree that's run wild. Di

Anonymous said...

Great photos! What fun that must have been for all the visitors. Sorry we did not get to view it.
Joan

Anonymous said...

What I think is interesting is that if I had not read your explanation first , I would not have realized it was made of steel until the photo of the limbs reflecting the bright light off them...Wish I could have seen in person. bsk