Monday, February 7, 2011

The Root Cellar


This root cellar is about five houses down the street from where I live. I have passed it thousands of times, of course. And I have photographed it a number of times as well. I may even have posted a photograph on the blog already. I did this photograph the morning of the ice storm. I photographed it a number of different ways - from afar, and in closeup. I had a difficult time selecting the "best" photograph for this post. I think this is the more beautiful photograph (please click on it to see it larger) but this photograph is less about the root cellar and more about the surroundings. By the way, there is a grand house up on the hill behind this cellar, and to the right is a residence that was once a carriage house, both of which belonged to the larger house. Root cellars, by the way, were used for storage up until the 1950s when the refrigerator became a ubiquitous feature in every U.S. home. Root cellars were the chosen, and indeed the only, way to preserve produce outside of the relatively short harvest season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo. I don't think I have seen a photo of this before, but maybe everything stands out because of the snow and ice.
Joan