Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Dandy Lion



Look what I found in the lawn today when I was mowing the grass.  I hate when they grow in the lawn, but when I picked one of them up and looked really closely, I was stunned by the beauty of this Dandelion.  It is really amazing to examine one of these closely.  And the mechanics of the blossom are something to behold.  On the top of each stem radiating out from the center, there are delicate hair like wisps of material.  These hairs are what allow the wind to carry each of the seeds to some other lawn in the neighborhood.  So I photographed it lit from the front, and then tried changing the lighting so the blossom was silhouetted against white so that you can see the structure better.  I think the silhouette is the more dramatic picture, but I am posting the other version that I took first, below.


If you like the second photo better, please let me know.  Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like the second photo better..

Anonymous said...

The black & white is cool but I prefer the actual flower with it's fluffy white "trim". bsk

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you both for your comments. I am outvoted! And that's OK!

Anonymous said...

As a piece of art, I like the first. If I wanted to frame it and hang it on my living room wall, that's the one I'd choose. If it was for a less formal situation, e.g. a small framed poster for the kitchen, I'd pick the second. They're both lovely, just feel different.

Anonymous said...

I vote for the first- silhouette. You don't see this angle much and it says dandelion while being very graphic.-- Stan