Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Drummer


I had another day of shooting for my library project, that I can't tell you much about at the moment.  I met some really interesting people who I photographed.  This woman was over 90 years old and told an amazing story.  She went to a high school marching band concert, and told her mom that she wanted to be a drummer in the band.  Then she went to the director and asked him, and he said "Well, we have never had a woman drummer, but if that's what you want to do, we'll be happy to have you in the band." So she played the drums for four years, between 1938 and 1941! The band won a number of competitions in four years, and this is her band cap, with some of the medals pinned to the top of it.  This cap is older than I am!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful story. I am pleased that she was able to be the first woman drummer for her school. I wanted to take drafting in high school and was told only boys could take the class!
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

That is terrible that they wouldn't let you take drafting. I wanted to take drafting, and dad said I should learn Latin. I flunked that and asked if I could take drafting. He said, "You should learn Spanish." I flunked that too, and then he let me take drafting! But that is awful that they wouldn't allow you in that class. I was so impressed to hear that the band director let her in, even though it had never been done before. Sounds like an elightened man.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story. Truly, that band director was enlightened! So glad she was able to pursue her desire to play drums. I love her hands on the cap - nice photo!! bsk

Anonymous said...

I am impressed that she even asked for what she wanted. How brave and independent for her generation!