Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sawtooth


When I stopped to have lunch with my sister Joan a couple of weeks ago, I noticed these buildings out behind the rear of the parking lot.  They caught my eye because of the architecture.  The "sawtooth" roof line tells me that it is an old New England style factory building.  We can't see the right hand side of each triangular roof section, but when these buildings were built, they would have had one side of the sawtooth covered in windows.  The window light was what illuminated the factory floor below.  Where the windows were has probably been covered with roofing now.  But the roofline identifies the purpose of these buildings. I also really love the texture of the shingles on the outside of the buildings.  That's why I converted the color shot to black & white to lessen the distraction of color.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The windows are actually still there. I remember Karen going to that window for civil air patrol meetings. Think the building is full of junk now.
Joan

Anonymous said...

They look vaguely familiar. Are they by the train tracks?
Polly

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Polly: Yes, they are on the south side of the railroad tracks, just west of High street. Joan: I should have looked more carefully for the windows. Thanks for letting me know.