Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day, 2014



                           

 

       

When I set out to photograph the Memorial Day parade I hope to end up with a memorable photograph when I am done.  The first thing I look for is an "overall" shot that shows the parade in its surroundings - one that would give a sense of Sea Cliff.  Then I start looking for "medium" shots that zero in on smaller parts of the scene.  Then I look for the close-up in hopes that it will be more dramatic.  The way it works, of course, is that I am looking for all of these things all at the same time!  So I only did an "OK" job today.  I have some nice things, but nothing as strong as I might hope for.  The photograph with the Green Beret saluting is kind of an exercise in composition, where I have him looking out of the frame, for something different.  The last photograph is interesting - it is a grandfather, who served in the Coast Guard in WWII, with his grandson who is on active duty in the Marine Corps.  I think maybe the best picture is the group of Girl Scouts, because we can spend time enjoying their faces and see how much fun they are having.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that the grandfather is enjoying the parade with his grandson. I was off a day looking for your flag picture. My apologies.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

That's OK, I never know what day it is myself! :-)

Anonymous said...

I also liked the grandfather and grandson together. bsk