Sunday, September 7, 2014

Endangered Species



So the regular blog is back, which means no more Montauk photographs!  There was a photograph and story in the newspaper about the demolition of a library building attached to "St Paul's School for Boys" in Garden City.  I knew this building was here, and always thought I should go photograph it, but I didn't.  So when I saw the picture of the demolition I went down there the next day and spent an hour wandering around photographing it.  What an amazing structure!  It was built in 1869, and closed in 1991.  The village has been unable to come up with a use for it that was affordable.  The architecture is simply stunning in its attention to detail.  It may not be long for this world, which is a shame.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad. Glad you went to photograph historic building.
Joan

Dean said...

What a spectacular place! It sounds like it was on the Historic Register - I hate losing historical places like this. Read this . They sounded hopeful 8 years ago when written. Happens more and more when "ruling by committee". -Dean