Tuesday, September 9, 2014

New York to Los Angeles






JFK to LAX - five hours and thirty minutes.  What an amazing country this is!  I see photographs from the minute we take off, until the minute we land.  As many times as I have made this trip since 2005, I never get tired of looking out the window at the earth and sky, looking for things that grab my attention.  The photographs here, from top to bottom, are: 1. Climbing out of JFK, with Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways in the distance.  2. Irrigation circles in Kansas - farmers irrigate their fields by using a spray pipe connected to the center of the field which travels in a circle, watering the crops.  3. Hundreds of cumulus clouds over the border of western Kansas and Oklahoma.  4.  A view of downtown Los Angeles, with urban sprawl in the foreground, on approach to Los Angeles International Airport.

5 comments:

Photodude Images said...

More importantly, did you recline your seat?

Anonymous said...

Photodude may be joking, but flying and the frustration it invokes is becoming a real problem for me. Forget having to sit next to someone who is way oversized and spills into my personal space - everything feels so cramped and unpleasant. Seeing your beautiful pictures makes me want to take a window seat, but it's so claustrophobic being wedged in there! Yes, it's a beautiful country from the air, only wish there was something beautiful about being IN the air.

Anonymous said...

Love the photo of the irrigation circles!
Have a wonderful time with your daughters.
Happy Anniversary to both of you!! bsk

Ken Spencer said...

I did recline my seat. They are designed to recline. What I DO do, is to S-L-O-W-L-Y recline it, in case the person behind me has a laptop in use.

Anonymous said...

I also have to sit by the window when I fly because I love to take pictures along the way.. I am glued to the window the entire flight!! I remember when I was a kid, they used to announce what areas of the country we were flying over, they no longer do that.. thank you for sharing these and the info.