Friday, May 5, 2017

First Flight!


I have had the drone for three days now.  It came with a 55 page manual and I wanted to memorize all of it before flying for the first time.  This drone is a very sophisticated device that uses GPS for navigation, and a "return to home" mode if it looses contact with its controller, among other things.  It has a number of colored lights on it, and you need to know what all the lights mean if they light up.  It was also really windy for two days as well and these drones can't fly in high winds.  But finally, today, the heavy rains stopped late in the afternoon, and I decided to try for a first flight.  It was amazing - this aircraft is actually really easy to control and the flight was flawless.  I can't wait to go looking for subjects that look really interesting from the air.  Stay tuned.

4 comments:

ken schwarz said...

This shot is fantastic; your new drone will bring new heights to your amazing blog posts! What is the range of your drone? Looking forward to many new adventures!

Anonymous said...

Great photo from your new super toy!
Joan

Anonymous said...

This photo is awesome! I love the picture of the "controller" watching his new drone fly. Also like the shot of your house. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

The range of the drone is something like .65 miles, BUT, BUT, BUT... The law says that the drone must always be within visual line of sight. Always. So, given my eyesight, I would say that it would be unusual for me to have the drone more than 200 feet away. It is a small machine, and it gets small quickly... :-)