Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Sunday Morning Coffee


My brother in law Neil and I went out to Dunkin Donuts on Sunday morning to get coffee - we already had donuts at home because some of his grandchildren work at a great donut shop!  While standing in line, I noticed these three old-timers enjoying each other's company.  Wait, Neil and I are old-timers!  Anyhow, I got my camera out and made three frames before one of the men noticed me.  I really love this photograph, because it speaks to the richness of friendship. Oh, and the artwork on the wall really makes this photograph something special.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must be the regular meeting of the Men's Hat Club :-)

Anonymous said...

The artwork on the wall really speaks out with color. Glad the friends could enjoy each other, before the photographer got caught.
Joan

Anonymous said...

If I may...These men are lucky to have the companionship of peers, even if only for a morning cup of coffee at the local shop. Research has shown that socialization is the No. 1 priority for older people who want to remain engaged and to feel relevant as they age. But how many elder folks have you seen in a place like this, sitting alone? It's up to those of us who are more fortunate and have a network of friends to engage older people who could use someone to talk with. It's not something we have to do every day, but if we see someone who is sitting solo, please ask them if you can join them. Talk about the weather, how good the coffee tastes - just light, stranger talk for 10 or 15 minutes. It can make a big difference to someone who feels lonely. I know from experience.

Ken Spencer said...

Anonymous: Thank you so much for your well thought out comments on the significance of these gentlemen having coffee together! You hit the nail on the head and described what I was trying to get at so much better than I could. You make such a good point about stopping to talk to strangers and giving them some of our time. A brilliant idea! Thank you!