Sunday, September 2, 2018

Becoming an Aussie


If you want to become an Australian here's what you need to do.  First, buy an Australian flag, and hang it from your front porch.  Second, buy an Australian Cycling jersey.  Third, learn some Aussie slang.  You already know "G'Day" which is obvious. How about "Mozzies?"  Easy, "mosquitoes." Fourth, and most important, come to love Vegemite.  It is an acquired taste, which does not come easy...   So this is my first Vegemite sandwich.  It is cheese on bread, and the brown "shoe polish" on the cheese is the Vegemite.  It is really salty.  It is also hard to characterize the other tastes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh, however, after describing the vegemite on your sandwich as "shoe polish", I think I will pass on becoming an Australian.
Joan

Anonymous said...

When I saw the Vegemite I thought of the I Love Lucy episode for "Vitameatavegamin". Apparently, Vegemite is not as good as that product was! I also laughed when I read the description as "shoe polish" - whoa!!! betsey

Anonymous said...

I first heard the term vegemite sandwich when the Australian band, Men at Work, sang the song "Down Under" back in the 80's. I never knew what Vegemite was or looked like but now I do! Trace

Ken Spencer said...

Trace: We had two of my friends from Australia here visiting for two days, before my friends and I drove to Vermont for the Telescope Makers Conference. So I enjoyed hearing the Australian accent for nearly a week. And all of that made me go download Men at Work's "Down Under!" I listen to it once a day! I love that song!