Tuesday, September 25, 2018

"ICONS OF STYLE: A Century of Fashion Photography"



There is an amazing exhibition at The Getty about fashion photography over the last one hundred years.  It is called "ICONS OF STYLE:  A Century of Fashion Photography."  It is a huge exhibition which has more than 150 photographic prints, but there were a handful of mannequins with some of the fashions of the times, and the photographs were displayed in ten-year segments.  This classic dress is by Christian Dior from 1948.


Ok, so this is funny, and only readers of my blog will understand the humor.  Why was I particularly attracted to this dress?  You know the answer - this dress matches my new Vans shoes!  I wonder if they have any menswear in this pattern?  This dress is by Alexander McQueen, a British designer.
  

This has to be the strangest fashion photograph I have ever seen.  There is a note at the entrance to this gallery warning of a photograph that is a "simulated suicide."  The title of this photograph is "Half Prada" and it was produced in 2003.  It was based on crime scene photographs found in police archives.  I am probably unsophisticated in that I have trouble making sense of this particular photograph.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your shoes better than the outfit on the mannequin - the outfit is WAY too busy for my eyes. betsey