Thursday, September 6, 2018

Dodging a Thunderstorm


I was getting cabin fever - it has been so hot I haven't done a bike ride in days.  So today was only 89 and I thought I would be careful and give it a try.  After I was all suited up, and just as I was about to leave the driveway I heard a crash of thunder!  Oh man, I forgot to check radar.  When I did check I decided that the cell was going to pass just to the north of us.  So off I went, hoping.  During my ride which goes to the south of Sea Cliff, I kept hearing the boom of thunder behind me and the crack of lightning.  Was this a good idea?  Yeah, it was.  The cell stayed north and I had a great ride - I rode  really S L O W so that I wouldn't get overheated, and the rain stayed away.  Beautiful sky and clouds, don't you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the water scene, stormy clouds and the sun rays. Beautiful!Trace

Anonymous said...

Glad you stayed ahead of the storm.. Great photo.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

I must me getting soft in my old age. It wasn't too long ago that without a care in the world I would thoroughly enjoy communing with nature on a beach and in the surf under a deluge of tropical rain with thunder and lightning not too far away. Earlier this summer on a beach not far from us, a young family (mother, father and daughter)were struck by lightning. Fortunately, the father and daughter were just knocked over but the mother was hit directly. Had it not been for quick thinking by others nearby on the beach and a very timely EMS response, the mother mostly likely would have died. This incident was reported in our local paper at the time and a follow-up story several weeks later reported she had been in a coma for quite some and had not fully recovered. Rain, thunder and lightning storms are common here in the low country. I still enjoy my beach time but keep a wary eye on thunder clouds and keep my ears tuned into cracks of lightning!

Anonymous said...

Nice light coming through the scary clouds. But after reading Ken Schwarz' frightening story, I hope you re-think going for a ride when bad weather is close...you were lucky this time. betsey