Monday, September 10, 2018

"Wiki Loves Monuments"


This is the historic Sea Cliff Long Island Railroad station.  I photographed it the other day for an unusual reason.  "Wiki Loves Monuments" is an annual international photographic competition held during the month of September, organised worldwide by Wikipedia community members. Participants take pictures of local historical monuments and heritage sites in their region, and upload them to Wikimedia Commons. The aim of event is to highlight the heritage sites of the participating countries with the goal to encourage people to capture pictures of these monuments, and to put them under a free licence which can then be re-used not only in Wikipedia but everywhere by everyone.
This is the second year I have photographed historic buildings in and around Sea Cliff.  During Wiki Loves Monuments 2012, more than 350,000 photographs of historic monuments were uploaded by more than 15,000 participants.   It is such a cool idea, and when I first heard of it, I jumped at the chance.  So here's the thing...   I am not all that happy with this photograph.  I am going to rephotograph this station later in the year, in hopes I can shoot at sunrise and it will make a more interesting photograph.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea that so many can participate in. I look forward to your finished photo of the train station.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Genius idea to get thousands of photos of monuments all over the world!! I like your photo. Hope to see more historic shots. betsey