Saturday, April 6, 2019

Astronomy Overdose


Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, there is no such thing as an "astronomy overdose."  Every Spring for the last 30 years at least, I have been coming to the Northeast Astronomy Forum, in Rockland County, NY, along with thousands of my fellow astronomers.  This is the field house with all the manufacturers and vendors, selling everything we will ever need!  Be sure to click on this panorama to see it in more detail.


Additionally, there are speakers on both days of the conference, and they are all first class.  This is Jim Green, the Chief Scientist of NASA who spoke about the history of the exploration of the Moon.  Since this is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landings, there is much interest in the history.


Here is a collection of antique telescopes on display by my friends in the Antique Telescope Society.


And here are new telescopes on display by one of the manufacturers.  So many tempting things to buy!  So you probably wanted to know how badly I was tempted...   :-)  Well, I bought one new eyepiece.  BUT...  Wonder of wonders, I won a free raffle and got to choose a 2" Oxygen III filter for eyepieces, the value of which is $189.  So it was a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cannot believe it's been 50 years since the moon landing!! I remember watching on TV. Love the look of the antique telescopes. betsey

Anonymous said...

I was amazed that 50 years have passed since the moon landing. I am also amazed that you only purchased one eye piece among all of the vendors. This place was huge.
Joan