Monday, April 1, 2019

Train Time


This is Glenn.  He and his wife Sharon were our hosts this weekend.  Glenn was showing me around their condo in Charlotte, North Carolina, and when we got to the top of the second floor, there was a train layout!  When I said that was amazing, Glenn said, "Wait until you see the rest of it," and then he took me into this room.  Wow!  I was stunned!  What a beautiful collection of model trains.   Glenn said that he had an engine and about five cars that he had received as a child in 1949, I think it was.  After he retired he started collecting model trains.


This is the railroad layout he has constructed.  It looks empty at this point, but at Christmas, he adds model buildings and snow and towers.  The photographs of that seasonal setup are amazing!  What is astounding to me, is that he has several buildings on the layout that are "active."  There is a sawmill that takes in round logs, and out come boards, when he presses a button!  There is a boxcar that ejects stainless steel cans of milk to the platform.  And then there is a car with a load of railroad ties on it, and a payloader that removes the ties one by one!  I had a model railroad layout as a kid, but nothing like the sophistication of this layout!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. Hard to imagine the active stations turning logs into lumber. My old neighbor enjoyed a wonderful train collection, but not to this magnitude.
Joan

Anonymous said...

His setup must be so much fun to play with - very sophisticated! I remember the table you had set up in the basement with the railroad trains. betsey