Tuesday, April 9, 2019

The New Tappan Zee Bridge


This is the new Tappan Zee Bridge, officially named the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge.  It was decided to replace the old Tappan Zee Bridge which was built in 1955, and was badly in need of replacement.  The process to build the new bridge started in 2012, construction started in 2013 and the first bridge span opened in 2017.  That must be some kind of record.  In this photograph you can see the last remains of the old bridge to the right.


I drove across this bridge four times, going and coming from my astronomy conference.  I saw it in bright sunlight, in the morning and in the afternoon.  On the last trip home, it was overcast (in the first picture) and I love the subtlety of the light and color.  I do like the dramatic lighting in this photograph, as well.  For those of you who worry that I might have done these photographs while driving, you should know that instead, I just stopped in my lane and took the photos and then drove on.  Well, actually not really...   :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the second photo with blue skies and the lighting on the bridge structure is so strong and powerful.
Joan