Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Galanthus


Oh, look at me, all fancy with my Latin names of flowers!  But you know better - I support Wikipedia because I go there 87 times a day, and they never fail me.  These are Snowdrops, and I am so surprised to see them so early this year.  It has been a really mild winter, so I guess that it is no surprise, but still.  I guess that they are designed to survive the odd snowstorm or two at the end of the season, at least I hope so.  Most species of Galanthus flower in winter, before the vernal equinox,  March 20 or 21 in the Northern Hemisphere.  So I guess they will be all right, and they make me feel really good - Spring is not that far off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and so nice to see signs of spring! Trace

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and I smile at you and your best friend, Wikipedia! I saw a sloped area covered in yellow and purple crocus the other day. Spring is arriving quickly.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Nice contrast between the soft white petals against the dark background. Perfect. Love seeing signs of Spring. betsey