Monday, March 16, 2020

The Kindness of Strangers


I got an email this morning from Stan:  "I had a conference call with a group I belong to on Saturday and one woman said the people in her building created a chat room where they can exchange info and tell each other when they are going shopping. All are pitching in to pick up things for the landlady who is not on her feet now and definitely needs the help. Amazing kindness."  Wow, what a wonderful story this is, about help from strangers!  It is such a heart-warming antidote for the behavior I showed you yesterday.  I was looking for any kind of appropriate picture to go with this, and the best I could come up with was this picture of the statue of Walt Whitman at the Walt Whitman Mall, in Huntington.  I have no idea why I chose this.  I mentioned it to Stan in a phone conversation and he said: "I thought of something about Walt Whitman and forgot to mention it. Didn't he volunteer to work in the hospitals in Washington D.C. during the Civil War? I seem to think he was already well known but helps out in one of the more intimate tasks one can do. You could add this to the caption in your blog post."  He was absolutely right, and so you can say that Stan wrote most of the blog!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this photo. I like the way (great poet) Walt Whitman is pointing towards the sky. It's a poetic pose, leaving much to the viewer to interpret. I love the lighting in the photo from the setting sun, very beautiful! I like the story of people helping others. The world seems so crazy and cold (illustrated in your photo of the empty stores and why) and it is so nice to hear stories of kindness and thoughtfulness to others. Trace

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo! Nice story about Walt Whitman. Now I have to look him up...Nice story about neighbors helping neighbors. Kindness will get us all through this new crazy reality. betsey

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo of Walt Whitman statute pointing to the sky. Lovely lighting and a calm sense. So nice to hear of neighbors helping neighbors. We need more of this.
Joan