Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner


As I walked down Laurel Avenue towards the water, this woman passed me, and we exchanged pleasantries about how nice the day was and how good it was outdoors.  So I had my camera ready and I followed her down the hill with my 400mm lens.  I love that I managed to catch her with both feet off the ground.  Just luck, sorry to say!  I had heard the title of this blog years ago, and had no idea what it meant, but it is so poetic and thought provoking that the minute I shot this, I knew what I would title the photograph.  So now I had to look up what the title means!  "The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner" is a short story by Alan Sillitoe, published in 1959 as part of a short story collection of the same name. The work focuses on Smith, a poor Nottingham teenager from a dismal home in a working class area, who has bleak prospects in life and few interests beyond petty crime. The boy turns to long-distance running as a method of both emotional and physical escape from his situation.  So now we all know!  Don't you love coming here to learn stuff?   :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love coming here to learn new stuff! A wonderful and positive ending story. Keep them coming.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Interesting and enjoyable story. Running has probably saved many lost and hurting souls! I also like the way you took the photo with both her feet off the ground-that is cool. Inspirational photo and glad she's not in a big group! Trace

Anonymous said...

I learn "stuff" from your blog all the time. Nice story and great photo! betsey

John Speroni said...

Hi Ken, nice photo.

That story is also the inspiration for a song with the same name, by the British heavy metal band Iron Maiden. I don't think their music is your cup of tea even though you've got pretty diverse interests.