Saturday, March 28, 2020

Venus and a Crescent Moon


Oh man, my apologies to all!  I forgot to post the blog last night!  I was so thrilled with the photograph, that I occupied myself sending it to a few friends, and then forgot the blog...   :-)  Stan sent me an email this morning asking where the blog was.  Duh!  I was at home working on some photographs when I got a call from a non-astronomer friend who lives a short distance away. He said: "Have you seen the moon and that star?  Man, I am some astronomer… I said that I hadn’t seen it, and that the “star” was Venus.  I went outside, saw the conjunction, fell down on my face in amazement, got up, and then got my camera!  This is the result!  What a wonderful thing this is to see, so beautiful and uplifting to see  Something, for a moment, that reminds us of the eternal, and which takes our mind off of our earthly problems for a few moments.


2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

I saw this beautiful sight last night soon after dusk and then looked again a couple more times later in the evening as the sky went into darkness. Although I am not an astronomer, I assumed the planet I was looking in our western sky was Venus. I thought about sending you an iPhone shot of Venus with South Carolina's crescent moon but decided a zoomed and grainy picture wouldn't be too exciting. Your photo is fantastic!

Ken Spencer said...

Primo: Thanks! Getting a decent photo is a bit harder than it looks, especially with a cell phone.