Thursday, July 23, 2020

I Made it Myself!


I was flying my drone in the side yard and when I do fly it, I have to use the iPhone as the screen to see the drone speed and altitude and to see where the camera is pointing. When the drone landed, I got out my home made iPhone case to put the phone away.  You probably can't tell, but I made this case myself!  When I first got an iPhone 12 years ago, I looked at the rubber surround cases but they made the phone thicker and harder to put in my pocket.  And when I asked some iPhone owners if I could look at their cases, I noticed that all the openings in the phone and the switches were full of pocket lint.  So I decided I needed to make a complete cover for the phone.  You are seeing it here.  And this is probably the fourth case I have made.  One reason I like having a complete cover, made with waterproof fabric, is that if it was in my pocket and I was splashed with water while washing the car or working in the yard, the phone would be protected.  I have made a few changes in the stitching since I made the first of these cases.  But you can see that this isn't quite the result of professional sewing!  But it does work really well.  All my iPhones were in mint condition when I finished using them.

6 comments:

ken schwarz said...

I'm a "live and let live" kinda guy. An Apple iPhone case is clearly a very personal choice and I can understand certain benefits of having a waterproof slip case for your phone. But the loose spun fibers would make me nuts! I can't confirm for sure by looking at your photo whether the fabric is Nylon or Polyester but either way you can singe the fibers with a butane lighter to dress up your custom homemade iPhone protective case.

Anonymous said...

Sorry but those loose threads would drive me bonkers!! I always sew items with the seams on the inside. However, I do like the fact that you know how to sew :-) betsey

Anonymous said...

Loose threads would make me crazy. Trim or singe your loose thread, glue edge or perhaps try a french seam on your next phone case. I love that you sew and use bright colors. :-)
Joan

Anonymous said...

Loose threads would make me crazy. Trim or singe your loose thread, glue edge or perhaps try a french seam on your next phone case. I love that you sew and use bright colors. :-)
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

I am sorry I made you all crazy with my loose threads. :-). There were no loose threads when I first finished this. My first iteration of this kind of case had only one row of stitches up the side and after a year, the whole side of the case started to unravel and open up. You will note that there are two rows of stitching, so this case will last much longer without opening up. OK, so I do how to sew, it's just that I don't do "fancy." One thing I left out, for brevity, is that there are actually three layers of fabric in the case and I inserted a thin piece of flexible plastic between the top layer and the second layer. That way if something hits the front of the case, the face of the phone is protected somewhat from a fracture.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am impressed that you have 3 layers including plastic for safety. French seams would not work with this much fabric! :-) Maybe seam binding. LOL
Joan