Thursday, November 10, 2022

Lost in Penn Station


I went to the city today to help my friend Stan shop for a Drone.  He is doing more work on his long term project about the internment camps into which the U.S. Government imprisoned people of Japanese descent, even though many of them were United States Citizens.  He and a writer have published two books about the camps.  Anyhow, that's why I went to the city.  So I got off my train, walked up the stairs to the corridor and had no idea where I was in the station!  I couldn't believe it!  I have been using Penn Station since I came to Long Island in 1966!  And I had no idea where I was!  Well, in my defense, there are monumental changes taking part in Penn Station to modernize it, and this is  what that looks like.  Believe it or not I saw a man behind an "information" desk, so I asked him where I was.  Turns out I was in a corridor over by the Moynihan Station which is across the street from Penn Station.  So I found my way back to the main station, which is where I wanted to be.  I had planned to do more photography of the changes since my last visit here.


This part of the newly finished station, the entrance.  It has really tall ceilings, and the room is flooded with light, as you can see.  The new huge entrance stairway is at left, and I have photographed that before. You can see that photograph here: New Stairway  This construction is not finished yet, and they have just contracted to a whole new multi-million project that will ultimate break through the floor above this, and this ceiling will be gone and this floor will be open to the sky!  Here is an artist's rendering of what is to come!  Wow!







 

2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

Wow! It has been at least a few years since we have been to Penn Station. In a week or so we will, no doubt, be lost as we try to make our way through the station to find the track that will connect us to family and friends living in in Port Washington, Glen Head and Sea Cliff. I am enthusiastically looking forward to seeing the wonderful transformation of this iconic train station that has been a work-in-progress for several years. Many thanks for your photos and the heads up!

Ken Spencer said...

Primo: The transformation has a long way to go. But what might be the most interesting is the main place where you wait for trains, by the waiting room. The area is dark and the temporary structure with huge beams is right over your head. There is still construction everywhere. The new giant stairway that goes right up to the street is spectacular. And some of the hallways are partly finished. You MUST go over to the Moynihan Train Hall by either taking a tunnel under 8th avenue or by going up to the street and crossing 8th Avenue and then walking through the door. It is absolutely a spectacular architectural wonder! You will be amazed by everything you see.