Tuesday, November 8, 2022

The Lunar Eclipse


We are talking sacrifice here!  I set the alarm this morning for 4:30 AM!  I quickly dressed and loaded my camera equipment and tripods into the car, and then headed for this beach and boat ramp in Glen Cove.  I had scouted the location a week before and what I liked were the pilings in the center of the photograph, sticking up above the horizon.  I thought those pilings might add interest to the photograph.  But it turns out I needed to be further away from them to get this wide angle view and so they didn't really play a part in my eclipse photos.  So this is shortly after the total eclipse started at 5:16 AM.  You can see that the moon is orange, instead of white, meaning that it is in the shadow of the earth.


So this is a photograph of the fully eclipsed moon taken with my 300mm lens.  If you enlarge this image by clicking on it, you can see a few stars in the background.  This was taken at 5:30 AM.


And this photo was taken at 5:46 as the sky got brighter as dawn approached.  The Moon is lower as it begins setting, so I used a longer lens, and so the moon is larger, which is nice.  As 6:00 AM approached, the sky became lighter and the eclipsed moon gradually faded and disappeared.  An astounding morning, and certainly worth getting up early for!  

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Viewing the blog is a wonderful way to start the morning. These photos are amazing! The lunar eclipse is astounding. I was hoping we would see this on your blog. The 5:30 a.m. photo of the moon and stars is wonderful. Thanks for sharing the photos! Trace

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sacrificing a good nights sleep. :-) You captured some wonderful photos of the Lunar Eclipse in its stages. I especially like the middle photo with the moon and stars. Striking.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I like the first photo taken at 5:16 showing the partly orange moon and the water view. I love the second photo showing the full orange colored moon surrounded by stars. Thanks for getting up early to photograph the eclipse so we could enjoy it! betsey

Ken Spencer said...

I am so glad that you all loved seeing the photographs of the eclipse! And what's great is that you didn't have to get up early in the morning... :-)