Tuesday, November 14, 2023

A Conversation With The Sun


On my bike route which is ten miles long, there is a very short street that gains about two hundred feet in altitude in a very short distance!  It feels like I am climbing in the the Tour de France at Alpe d'Huez, which has an 8% grade!  If I stop on this steep road to take a photograph, which I did twice today, I cannot continue with my climb.  I need to start up by going downhill first for a short distance, to clip into my pedals, and then I turn and start back up hill.  But it was worth it to stop and photograph, as you can see from this photograph.  I think this is one of the earliest homes in this area, based on the small clerestory windows just under the roof line.  It is a beautiful house in perfect condition and I admire it each time I grind my way up the hill that it is on.  But what stopped me today was the way the sunlight, at a low angle, illuminated the house.  The words that instantly came to mind were that the house was having a conversation with the sun.  I can't explain it more than that.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this gorgeous home conversing with the sun. :-) I have seen small windows in old home but never heard of the term
Clerestory Windows. Looked it up and they showed a photo of an ultra modern living space. You certainly go the extra mile and climbing steep hills and back down to get the special photos.
Joan

Anonymous said...

What a lovely photo of the house illuminated by the afternoon sun. I am not familiar with the term “clerestory windows “ and figured it was related to a church. I did look it up. In architecture, the windows are above eye level and their purpose is for ventilation and light. They apparently appeared in Egypt and have been used throughout history. I continue to learn through your blog!! Betsey