Friday, November 19, 2021

Saving the House


The road that runs along Sea Cliff Beach is really out of the way, so I rarely go there unless it is to take a special picture.  We drove along the Boulevard because I wanted Liz to see the washout from the giant storm.  I showed you photographs of the house which lost a lot of its back yard, back in September.  You can see that photograph here: Washout.  I wondered at the time how they would ever stabilize the hill.  I was stunned to see all the operations going on when we drove by the other day!  They have piled up some giant concrete blocks in the street then put a giant pile of dirt behind it, probably more than ten feet tall, and now there is this pile driver on tracks up on the pile, and I think it is driving these I-beams into the ground as part of the stabilizing process.  It has been a week now, and I need to drive down there again and see what progress has taken place.


I do wonder what will go between the I-beams after they are driven into the ground.  Probably something to do with concrete.


What is shocking in this photograph is to see how close to the edge of the washed out area the house it.  Compare how it looks with the first photograph I took on October 8th.  I will go check this out tomorrow and report back

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Still scary to think of losing stairs, trees and so much land. Please return and keep us updated on the progress. I am curious about the beams and what will transpire.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Joan said! betsey

ken schwarz said...

Old Chinese Proverb: "Man who builds house too close to cliff should expect cliff to erode someday"!

Anonymous said...

It seems like it would be very scary to live so close to the edge. I, too, am interested in seeing how they will salvage the land and house and make it safe enough so as not to lose the house in a landslide. Trace

Ken Spencer said...

I went there today, and the only change I could see was a rusty steel cylinder about 24" in diameter sunk into the hillside up the hill behind the pile driver on tracks. I will have to keep checking things out. It wasn't much of a change.