Sunday, November 7, 2021

Venus & the Moon, Even Closer


So I went back down to the harbor this evening, after sunset, in hopes I could photograph Venus and the Moon again.  There were thin high clouds, so I didn't have much hope that I would see the two objects.   I started by photographing a brilliant red sunset and the sandbars as it got darker.  When it got too dark I started to leave and then I noticed that the clouds had thinned enough that I could see both the Moon and Venus!  And the icing on the cake was the fading light from the Sun illuminated the clouds, giving a lovely pastel sky.  So I quickly found something interesting to put in the foreground - this battered tree was perfect, and put on a 200mm lens and made this photograph.  Here, the separation of the Moon and Venus was only 5 degrees.  Tomorrow, the two will have switched positions, and the Moon will be on the left, Venus on the right, and the separation will be 9 degrees, so you have a good chance to see this magnificent conjunction!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the view from my living room window. I should have walked down to the beach to view Venus and the Moon.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I like the soft salmon shades along with the blue-grey colors highlighting the "pearls" of Venus and the Moon. betsey

ken schwarz said...

Coloring is wonderful in this simple photograph of Venus and the moon amongst the two pollarded trees at sunset.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. These sky photos are stunning. Trace

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shot! -Jodi