Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Hieroglyphics


I thought that the title "Hieroglyphics" would be appropriate for this street marking.  But I thought I would check, because I know you are all watching me and pity poor me if I make a mistake!   :-)
Anyhow I looked it up and this is a short definition: "enigmatic or incomprehensible symbols or writing" and that sounds perfect. I do happen to know that this symbol means there is a gas main running right under this symbol, and they mark the street when there is going to be someone excavating the street, so no one will break a gas main with a back hoe!  Anyhow, I love this image as something artistic, even though it is technical.   Something about the bright yellow paint on the black macadam and the gentle sunlight raking across the surface.  what I don't know is what the smaller text means.  If I ever find out, I will be sure and let you know.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I know National Grid Yellow Paint means Gas/Oil/Steam.
In this case, it is marked as GM - Gas Main

Taking an educated guess on the 2" STL meaning 2 Feet Surface to Line

Mark

Ken Spencer said...

Oh man, this is brilliant! Makes perfect sense to me. It is one thing to know where it is, but someone excavating would need to know how deep it is! Of course! Many thanks!