Monday, September 4, 2023

The Wasp Nest!


I don't remember when I first saw this wasp's nest, which is in the Japanese maple tree on branches that overhang the driveway.  But it is way up high, probably 12 feet off the ground, so its not a problem for us.  When I did see it I was stunned at its size!  So get this, because it is night and the insects usually sleep at night, I went out with a long piece of 1x2 inch lumber and tied a string near the top of it about 18 inches below the end. I went to hold the stick up to compare the lengths, and this nest is at least 18" long! When I shown the hand held spotlight on the nest, I was stunned to see two large groups of wasps all packed together on the outside of the nest, a group on either side, and when I examined all that with my binoculars, I realized that they are building the nest at night!


And what builders they are!  Look at this magnificent construction with gray and brown layers of "paper" laid down on the nest.  All species of social wasps construct their nests using some form of plant fiber (mostly wood pulp) as the primary material, though this can be supplemented with mud, plant secretions (e.g., resin), and secretions from the wasps themselves.  This is just stunning to see.  And I also looked up wasps and they are really beneficial for us.  Many of the solitary wasps lay eggs on or in other insects (any life stage from egg to adult) and often provision their own nests with such hosts. Unlike true parasites, the wasp larvae eventually kill their hosts. Solitary wasps parasitize almost every pest insect, making wasps valuable in horticulture for biological pest control of species such as whitefly in tomatoes and other crops.  That was a relief to hear.  They have never bothered us at all, which is more than I can say for the yellowjackets, which are also a member of the wasp family.  They have nests down in the ground and are a constant bother flying around us.  Don't you love coming here and finding out things like this?



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how they work together to build this creation. It is a work of art. I feel amazed and a bit alarmed when I see one nearby, especially when what seems like hundreds of wasps, are hovering on it. Appreciate the information about the wasp. Trace

Anonymous said...

Great photos of this incredible nest. Like Trace said, it is a work of art. You were brave to try and measure it, but I would have kept my distance. Thanks for the information about Wasps.
Joan

Anonymous said...

The colors and design of the wasp nest is really amazing but I certainly wouldn’t get near it. It’s huge! You’re brave because you are so curious! Thank you for all the information about wasps. Never thought of them as being beneficial to us. Betsey

George Preoteasa said...

Did you try taking a long exposure picture at night with you Sony? Maybe a timelapse to see how they move? Just a thought.