Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How Long Ago?



We were headed upstate again, along Route 17, a route we have traveled so many times. At some point I realized that I would be driving by three abandoned houses soon, and with the late afternoon sunlight coming from the west, the houses would be in perfect light. I chose this house out of the three - it is in the worst condition of all, the second floor having completely collapsed. I couldn't decide which image to post - I think the window is the more powerful of the two, but I like the sense of the whole house in the wider shot. I began to wonder how long ago someone lived here. There is Old Route 17 which in places runs alongside the present superhighway. Apparently it ran by these three homes. The new road was finished in about 1965. But this house is so far gone, it was probably abandoned long before that.

5 comments:

Neen Hogan said...

I am intrigued by abandoned and older houses....who lived there and what were their lives like?

Anonymous said...

I too love the old houses and let my imagination run. Traveling with you though must take twice the amount of time as normal! :-)
Joan

Anonymous said...

My family lived here. We were poor. Ma always struggled to get food on the table, but we kids knew nothing of the problems that would face us. The house was always cold and Da took to the jug to keep himself warm. Ma called it the sickness when he fell into rages and beat on her. One day he hit her hard and she fell against the kitchen counter. She grabbed a small knife and stabbed at him as he came toward her. He fell on the floor. There was blood everywhere. Ma told the oldest to get the sheriff. Then she was taken away. Us kids tried to stay together because we knew she'd come home. We didn't have anybody else. But we never saw her again.

Ken Spencer said...

To Anonymous: This is brilliant! Just wonderful. Beautifully written! I am SO impressed. I would look at these ruins and try to imagine life here, but you have made it so specific, and thus, so real. Thank you so much!

Amy said...

Gorgeous, even though it is so run-down and about to collapse. I especially love the color of the wood, which is so perfectly weathered by the decades.