Sunday, April 26, 2009

Learning to See


I still have a bunch of shots from upstate that I haven't had time to post yet. But this photo is interesting for different reasons. A while ago when I posted a photograph of the Portage Bridge in Letchworth, I went on the web to find out what the actual name of the bridge is. I stumbled across a wonderful website with photographs of great bridges in the northeast. But the most illuminating thing I saw on the website was that the photographer had taken the time to shoot CLOSEUPS of various details of the bridge construction! Duh! Why didn't I think of that? What a dolt! So, when I went back to photograph the bridge again, I took time to carefully look around and shoot various details. It was a fun way to explore the bridge. This is one of the footings and it shows one of the main vertical "I" Beams , and some of the steel rods which stabilize the structure. As usual, please click on this to see better color in a larger image.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life Lesson 101: Take a closer look. If you keep your distance as most do, the bridge is merely a sprawling structure, long forgotten. Stand closer, get to know her intricaate parts and suddenly, though tired and weather-worn, her beauty is stunning.
She is silent to most, yet she speaks to the few who take interest. "Look at my layers and layers of rust! It has taken years for me to develop them. Can you see the depth of colors? Do they remind you of a brilliant sunset on the sea, or the red rocks of the Grand Canyon? Oh heavens! I am not famous like that. But I have always felt special. And today, you noticed me. Though, at first glance, I may look boring, you spent time with me and found what others are too busy to see. I loved the attention. Thank you."

Ken Spencer said...

Another wonderful post! Now I am REALLY curious who you are! But I hope I keep posting images that draw you out to continue with your wonderful essays!

Anonymous said...

By now, you must know. It is your pictures that inspire the words. Unimportant who I am. Words have been there for centuries. But the images only come to life when you capture them. Keep up your beautiful view on life. You give us all such pleasure in your work.

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks so much.