Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Ovid Farmhouse


I have photographed this house before. But always from the front, and usually as a medium shot of the front door and windows, and in one case, just a detail of the old glass front door. So I was thinking that I was "done" with this house as a subject. Then, on the way back from Rochester, here it was along the roadside. The sun was coming in from the right, just illuminating the front of the house, and there were gray cumulus clouds in the sky, which added more interest than just a plain blue or white sky. The clouds and the sun made the scene more dramatic. I guess the lesson is, you are never "done" with a subject.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The close-up shots are much more dramatic, but I love seeing the whole picture of the farmhouse. I never imagined it was such a big deep home. It is land or water in the background?
Joan

Anonymous said...

When I was young, my family could only dream of having a home this size, this majestic, this permanent. Where are the people who were supposed to care for this rambling house? Why did they let it go to ruin? How does anyone toss aside a home, like a pair of worn out shoes? A home - for all the memories it holds. Can you hear children's voices as you draw near for your closeups? Or are the sounds only of creaking wood and rusty nails? How do you recover from being abandoned? Some never do.