Friday, April 24, 2009

Ice


Back to Letchworth State Park, the "Grand Canyon of the East" as it is known. I love this park, and the chasm, and the river, and of course, the bridge. So I walk up to a place to photograph the bridge from, and I look to the left, and think "WHAT?" What the heck is that stuff clinging to the rock wall? It is mainly brownish-gray. After a while I realize, that although it is the middle of april, and it is gray, the substance is actually ice! I suspect that when the falls were running all winter long, the spray that the falls put into the air has frozen on the rock wall. And now, even though it is warmer, the dirt that covers the ice is protecting the ice from what little sunlight makes it into the canyon. I actually did some close-up views of just the ice. I was going to post one as sort of a quiz, but decided I loved the beauty of the falls and bridge more. Please click on this image to see greater detail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really amazing photograph.

Anonymous said...

The "substance" looks fake until you read your comments. Very cool picture - the kind that makes me want to go there and see everything in person. bsk