Monday, April 27, 2009

The Magic of a Crescent Moon


I went out to throw a burger on the barbeque, and while it was cooking, looked up to see this gorgeous sliver of a three-day old moon. I finished cooking my dinner, then put it on the table and let it get cold while I did this photograph. There is something magical about a thin crescent moon, it seems to me. It is usually a surprise to see it when it appears. This probably is because a full moon is in the sky for 10 for 12 hours, while a crescent moon only becomes obvious at sunset, and then sets within an hour or two, so it is visible for such a short time, compared to other phases. But there is something also magical about something so delicate and so thin. I can glance at a full moon, and then walk away. A crescent calls me to grab a telescope sometimes and to spend time studying its delicate structure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are you smiling?
What have you seen?
I've seen that smile on Earthbound creatures and I wonder...
Were you kissed gently by a loved one for no reason at all?
Did he take your hand without asking on your moonlit walk?
Were there extra nuts in your butter pecan?
Why are you smiling, Mr. Moon? What have you seen?

Ken Spencer said...

This makes me smile!