Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Arrangement


Every week on the way to church, there is a good chance we will get stuck behind a pack of cyclists that ride 4 abreast and take up the whole side of the two-lane road. The only thing to do is to drive slowly until we can pass them, if we are lucky. Today, when they stopped at the light, stretched across the road, I thought it made a nice composition, with the differing stances of each of the cyclists. It made a nice design, I thought. I was only able to grab two quick shots before the light changed. Then I had to quickly drive around them in the left hand turn, to get ahead of the pack. I was going to title this post "STUPID CYCLISTS!" because the traffic laws don't allow riding abreast on roads in NY State, but they do it any way! But, hey, it was sunday, so I gave it a different title... :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My worst fear driving is hitting someone - a cyclist, a pedestrian - God forbid a child. Love the idea that cycling as a sport is so popular but getting on a bike doesn't mean you own the road or that drivers should look out for you. They should, but let's face it, they're easily distracted. I'm driving a huge machine that won't always stop or go in the direction I want it to, especially if you're suddenly in my path and I can't react quickly enough. All of you who do sports or fitness routines that put you on public roads -- THINK! Stay out of harm's way or one day you may get hurt by a driver who is texting, changing a CD, wiping up spilled coffee or just having a conversation with peopel in the back seats. Not everyone is paying attention the way they should. Protect yourself and save everyone a lot of heartache. Even when you follow the rules of the road, there's danger.

Anonymous said...

Right. One horrible moment of not paying attention could change lives forever. Let's ALL be careful -- and remember, there are people on the road who shouldn't be, who don't know (or remember, or care) about the rules. But once tragedy happens, what difference does it make who was right and who was wrong - or should've known better? Safe is always better than sorry.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you both for these thoughtful comments. I worry when I ride, (I ride alone) and I try to be hyper vigilant. But cars and SUV's are bigger, and heavier. One woman nearly clipped me with the rider's side mirror of her Escalade. She clearly had no idea how wide her truck is.