Monday, August 24, 2009

Big Waves


There were reports in the paper of twelve-foot waves at Jones Beach two days ago, so I decided, when I overheard some people talking about the waves, to go take a look this morning. I think today they might have been "only" 6 feet. They were still pretty impressive because although they were only 6 feet themselves, when they broke, the "splash" took them much higher. I tried shooting this several different ways - I tried silhouettes of small groups people in the foreground, and I tried individuals alone with the waves, as in this image. I think this is the most successful of the images for several reasons - the person is in silhouette, so the focus is on the waves, which I think I got just right in the background, and I love the sense that the waves were so huge in relation to the woman.

No comments: