Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Head is Spinning


Guess what? I am not done with MASS MoCA yet! I have some more photos from the museum I want to post. But first I have to tell you this... I have been reading about the artist Anselm Kiefer, whose works are on display there and they are powerful pieces indeed. I am incapable of describing what is going on, so here are two quotes from the catalog: "German artist Anselm Kiefer conjoins matter, history and time in a moving installation of paintings and monumental sculpture...
Art historian Mark Rosenthal writes, “The subject of war is either implicit or explicit in each of the works on view at MASS MoCA and in the group as a whole … War - a tragedy for innocent victims and their families, for those sent to fight, and for the subsequent fate of the populations and nations left to rebuild physical and psychological damage - is pervasive in Kiefer’s art.” These paintings are huge, and they are actually three-dimensional with the layers of paint and a really thick, almost clay-like mixture. But it is the images themselves which are so powerful. Wait until I tell you the story of the sculpture which is on display as well! Stay tuned...

No comments: