Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Crescent Tomato


You all know about a crescent Moon. Here is a crescent tomato! The lighting causes and effects of both are the same, believe it or not. When you light a sphere from the side, then you get an illuminated crescent, depending on the angle from which the light comes from. I was on my way out the door late this afternoon for my bike ride, and just happened to see this newly-picked tomato from the garden sitting in a shaft of late afternoon sun, on the kitchen shelf. I grabbed the Nikon and the 60mm Micro-Nikkor close-up lens. I always forget how quickly the sun moves in the sky. I had to constantly move the tomato to keep it in the shaft of sunlight as I photographed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how the light in the background looks like a knife! bsk

Ken Spencer said...

Oh, that was completely addidental, but I will pretend I planned it that way! :-)

Anonymous said...

I noticed that as well..what a fabulous shot....makes me hungry for a fresh, home grown Tomato...it would look like a crescent when I finished with it.