Monday, August 3, 2009

Insect at Work


I went looking for a photograph today, and spied some chives growing in the herb garden. I decided to do a close-up photo of the chive blossoms so got my macro lens and went to work looking at blossoms. Suddenly I notices this tiny insect at work on the stigma in the center of the flower. I was amazed at how long the insect worked at the sigma. It gave me plenty of time to shoot, which is good, because the blossom was moving back and forth, and difficult to keep in focus. I decided that the insect at work was more interesting than just the flower. This insect is REALLY small - perhaps only 3/16 inch in length. When I removed the camera from my eye and looked at the flower, I could not see the insect, it was so small. I have spent half an hour looking for insect identification, but with no luck. I think it is some kind of wasp, but I can't say for sure. Click on it to see it in more detail.

No comments: