Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In Memorium


I took Amtrak to Philadelphia today to see the Galileo exhibit at the Franklin Institute. It was really cool taking Amtrak. I love the train, but it has been years since I was on Amtrak. Anyhow, when I got out at the 30th Street Station, I was looking around and saw this statue. It is striking, the minute you look at it carefully, and then I immediately wondered what was about. Turns out, it is a memorial to all the Pennsylvania Railroad workers who lost their lives in the Second World War. There are a LOT of names on the base! Walter Hancock is the sculptor, and the date of the piece is 1952. Amazing what you can find when you travel! Please click on this to see more detail in a larger image.

1 comment:

Midge said...

Wow, this is beautiful and moving.