Friday, October 9, 2009

In Order of Appearance



There were so many things to see and photograph in the city, I will take them in order of when I saw them. I was walking away from Penn Station, East on 32nd Street, and I happened to look up and see this highly detailed structure, crossing above me, from one building to the next. It is apparently a three-level pedestrian bridge. After researching it, I discovered that the building was the flagship store of the Gimbel Brothers department stores! In the 1930's Gimbels became the largest department store corporation in the world. It closed in 1987. That would explain the beautiful architecture and construction detail, with the building sheathed in copper. I am astounded, of course, that I never noticed this bridge before. I don't want to even guess how many times I have walked along this street and under this brigde. Yikes! And I like to think that I am always paying attention.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the perspective of the top photo best -- very powerful.

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks! That photo is my favorite as well, but I did want to show the architectural detail in the close-up, so I included that one as well.