Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Magic of a Flower


I like to think that I pay attention, but i'll tell you, sometimes I amaze myself with what I don't notice! I was moving a ladder in the driveway, and looked down and saw these Montauk Daisies. They are so beautiful, and I thought "Hey, a blog shot!" So I went right to the micro-nikkor close-up lens. I thought I would photograph the whole bloom, but as I got closer I was fascinated by the pattern in the center of the flower. The yellow disc is composed of hundreds of tiny fertile yellow florets while the 20 or thirty white rays or "petals" are actually sterile flowers. The rays have, in evolution, given up their reproductive function in order to serve as decorations to draw insects to the pollen-bearing center of the flower. The pattern of the florets is nothing short of astounding. And imagine my surprise to find that there were actually water drops on the petals as well! Wow, what more could I ask for. Please click on this to see more detail in a larger image.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. I love the simplicity and complexity of it.

Di

Anonymous said...

You have such a talent for capturing nature so well. This is beautiful and perfect!