Friday, January 4, 2013

Eugene Atget

Eugène Atget, who lived from 1857 to 1927, was a French photographer noted for his photographs documenting the architecture and street scenes and the parks of Versailles, Saint-Cloud and Sceaux of Paris. I have known of his work for years, and he had this wonderful way of capturing the landscape. Characteristics of Atget's photography include a wispy, drawn-out sense of light due to his long exposures, and a fairly wide view that suggested space and ambiance. So in my garden photography I have attempted from time to time, to photograph in the manner of Atget. This is a wonderful garden in the Hamptons that I have photographed a number of times. The original is in color, but I converted it to black and white, and toned it to look like it is an old photograph. I stumbled across this photo from 6 years ago, when perusing an old hard drive the other day.

No comments: