Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I Am So Bummed!

In June 2009 they started the demolition of the old Roslyn Viaduct, a steel girder bridge. Then they began installing a new bridge of pre-cast concrete, tied together with internal cables. The gentle curves of the arches of the new bridge were beautiful. I kept thinking that when it was completely finished, I would be able to take a beautiful photo of the new bridge. For a while after all the concrete sections were installed there was construction equipment and materials on the ground from one end of the bridge to the other. So no photo. Finally they started moving the equipment away, BUT... They started installing black drain pipes on all the pylons! Oh man, that is ugly! So I stopped to see if there was any way I could get a beautiful picture. Fat chance. Maybe I need to try from another angle.

4 comments:

ken schwarz said...

I was looking forward to a beautiful photo this morning and you sent me this? I think the bridge engineer forgot about drainage in his (or her) original design so after some water ponding issues on the bridge added a Rube Goldberg solution by installing nasty black drain pipes and hardware against the gray concrete. Please go back to Starbucks and rethink this shot!

Anonymous said...

are the pipes on both sides of the bridge? maybe the other side looks better. this is, as the kids say, "butt ugly."

Ken Spencer said...

Yes, the pipes are on both sides of the bridge piers. Each of the piers were cast in place, and I know that it would add a tremendous amount of complexity to the casting if the drainage were placed inside the pier. So it is ugly, and our taxes are less. I vote for putting the drainage inside the piers, though.

Anonymous said...

This is where Photoshop can be your friend. You're not really altering the picture - just correcting the engineer's mistake, right?
MJ