Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Hatmaker


There is a new hat store in Venice, and the girls, knowing that I LOVE hats, said that we should visit the store.  It was really cool, because when I tried on one of the hats on display, the hat maker came over and took the hat I was wearing, and spent about 20 minutes or so changing the hat almost completely!  It was so cool to watch him at work, using a special steam iron and another metal tool to form the felt, and add an upturned edge all around the brim.  Of course all the steam was a magnet for me, and I asked if it was OK to shoot some photographs, and he said that it was.  So here is Ruben, the hat maker, at work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you buy a new hat?
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

No way! Those were REALLY expensive custom made hats! Like REALLY expensive!

Kathy said...

I think that hat was $850.

Anonymous said...

WHOA!! That is pricey! It is wonderful that a craftsman is making custom hats, though. I like all the wood hat forms on the shelf. bsk