Friday, January 31, 2014

The Mirror Making Class


This is a photograph I took of the mirror making class that I visited in New London, with a friend of mine, who gave a lecture on some history of amateur telescope making in the United States.  These students wanted to learn how to grind and polish a telescope mirror, so their professor decided to conduct classes.  I was impressed to see how enthusiastic they all are about their project.  I brought two telescopes that I made along with me, and photographs of three others. That's my telescope sitting in the foreground - and it was pretty neat to see them carefully examining it, and looking at photographs of the others.  It is exciting to me to be around people this motivated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which school in New London?

Ken Spencer said...

Sorry. I just saw this. The school is Connecticut College in New London.